Monday, April 18, 2011

Potty Training Success!!!

Well, world....it's official.  My daughter is potty trained!!!  I haven't changed a diaper in I don't know how long.  Although I guess the diaper changing stage is coming back, ready or not!  However, with Paige, I really wanted to try to get her out of diapers before Baby #2 (who we have started to call Baby No Name because we can't agree on a name for her).  Here are my sure-fire (for me, anyway) steps to a diaper free life!

Step 1: Plan To Make No Plans
I started potty training Paige after our long weekends to Syracuse for holidays, and any other trips or distractions we may have had planned, were behind us.  My advice--give it AT LEAST a week of staying home.  That means no grocery shopping trips (make plans to go without your child), no errands, no play dates, nothing.   If you keep your child home, they will not have as many distractions or fears of going in unknown potties.  And you'll be able to devote 100% of your attention to potty training.  

Step 2: Expect Accidents
Your child is going to have accidents.  Just face that as a reality before even putting a pair of underwear on her.  Arm yourself with paper towel, stain remover (pet odor and stain remover works well for carpets) and LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!  You have to remember that this is new for your child, and they are bound to have accidents, because they don't know that going wherever they are is no longer okay.  When an accident happens, clean it up, give hugs and kisses, and MOVE ON.  It probably wasn't the first, and I can guarantee it won't be the last.  

Step 3: Ditch the Diaper, and Get Excited!
When your stock of diapers is gone, it's gone.  Resolve to not buy diapers again.  Get excited about buying "Big Girl Pants" and get your little one excited too!  Take her to the store, and let her pick them out.  A side note of this step--DITCH THE PULL-UP!  They are way too much like diapers, and will not help with the potty training.  Paige wears pull-ups only at night.  I tried to start training with pull-ups, and because they feel just like a diaper it was actually setting us back.  She would tell me AFTER she peed.  If you put your child directly in underwear, they will feel when they are wet.  

Step 4: Baby Steps
Your child is a big girl now.  Just make sure that you're still understanding of the fact that they need to be introduced into any adjustment or change gradually.  I started by getting some t-shirts that were a little big on her and letting her run around bare bottomed with just her shirt on.  I also moved the potty into our den, where she spends her time playing or reading with me, and where I would be able to see her even if I was in the kitchen cooking or cleaning up.  Find the room that your child spends the most time in, and put the potty there.  For the first day or two, set a timer and make sure she's sitting on the potty every 10-20 minutes.  If she doesn't go, praise her anyway for trying.  If she has an accident shortly before or after the timer goes off, take notice and adjust your potty trips accordingly.  (Also, refer to Step #2--Accidents will happen!)  After a day or two (or however long it takes for your child to start to understand), they will begin heading toward the potty when it's time to go.  When that happens, add ONE article of clothing on her bottom...just undies.  Continue to allow her to wear just a tshirt or sweat shirt.  This will help in learning to get the the potty in time to pull down your pants, without having too much clothing to fumble with.  Gradually add her pants, and remember ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN!  Make sure you are ready and watching for signs that she has to go.  Be ready to make a mad dash to the potty.  When this phase is complete, start moving the potty slowly back into the bathroom.  I moved it a little at a time everyday, until it was back where it belongs. 

Step 5: Plan For Successful Outings
Once you're ready to venture out into the world with your newly trained pottier, make sure you set the both of you up for success.  ALWAYS pack an extra set of clothing, from head to toe.  Socks and shoes too, because some accidents can get messy!  Before you leave, try to limit as best you can the amount of liquid she consumes.  Also, make sure she sits on the potty and goes before you leave.  When I first started traveling, I invested in underpads, and put one under her when I put her in the carseat.  I also use them when I put her down for a nap.  If you are traveling to a store or other place of business, scope out the potty locations as soon as you get there.  Ask when you walk in if they have to go, and again before you leave to minimize chances of an accident....but remember--ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN!!!  That's why you have a change of clothes.  I also make sure I have antibacterial wipes available for the questionable bathrooms I may have to enter.  


I hope these tips have helped to at least give you hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  And I hope these tips will be useful in at least outlining your plan.  Remember that every child is different, and don't get frustrated if they don't get it right away.  If you've been working with your child for a few weeks, and they haven't caught on at all, take a break for a month or more if needed, and then try again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment